STEPS TO MEMBERSHIP
We recognize that membership in a local church is not required for salvation nor is it necessary for one to grow in Christ. Membership is for the purpose of public identification with and accountability to a community of believers.
Since Pentecost, those that identified themselves with Christ participated in a church. There is the Universal Church and the Local Church.
|Universal Church||Local Church|
|Includes dead and alive in Christ
Only one universal Church
Includes only believers
Christ is the head
|Includes only the living
Many different local churches
Includes believers and unbelievers.
Various types of government
The following represents the personal and functional requirements of membership in the local church at Calvary Church. We are more concerned about the need to be in community than part of a list or just a participant in church governance.
- A personal relationship with Jesus Christ, by faith in him alone for salvation.
- Baptism as a believer in Jesus Christ.
- Wholehearted endorsement of the Statement of Faith of Calvary Church.
- Commitment to support this church and its ministries through the giving of one’s time, talents and treasures.
- Commitment to the philosophy of Calvary Church and a pledge of cooperation to those in leadership.
- Age 18 or older
- Regular attendance at Calvary Church for one year
- Completion of the new members’ process as determined by the Elder Board
- Signed Membership Covenant stating the agreement to be bound by the current Calvary Church Constitution
- Participation in an interview with members of Calvary’s leadership
- Approval by the Elder Board.
- Commitment to notify Calvary if no longer attending
...is for connection.
Calvary Church regularly offers a series of classes to help you grow in your walk with Christ. The Discovering classes provide people who are relatively new to Calvary an opportunity to learn about our church and also to connect with other Calvary attendees.
…is for membership.
There are four functional elements to becoming a member at Calvary Church:
- Completion of the Discovering Series classes
- Regular attendance for one year at Calvary Church
- Baptism as a believer in Jesus Christ
- Serving at some level at Calvary Church
Upon completion of Calvary’s membership process, candidates are officially received and celebrated as members at our New Members’ Luncheon.
Discovering Series Classes:
- Discovering Life at Calvary – This class is designed to help you learn more about the foundation of Calvary Church, our philosophy and beliefs, as well as what it means to be a member of Calvary Church.
- Discovering Transformational Living – This seminar is designed to help you learn more about how to live life under the reign of Jesus Christ. Transformational living means that we are allowing the spirit of God to be formed within us as we devote ourselves to following Him.
- Discovering Missional Living –As followers of Christ, we are called to love and serve others while we share the good news of Jesus Christ and his free gift of salvation. This seminar is designed to help you learn more about how to live in Mission with God in your home, work and community.
- Discovering Relational Living- Loving God and loving others is the greatest commandment. It is also the relational call of the Gospel. This seminar is designed to help you learn more about God’s plan of salvation and what it means to have a personal relationship with him through Jesus Christ.
Next Baptism Opportunity: Sunday, August 10, 2014 at both Sunday services.