The following groups are conducted at various times throughout the year.
NEW: Family Grace Group - support group for those with a family member suffering from mental illness. This group meets the first and third Tuesdays of each month from 7:00 - 8:30 pm in room 304. NOTE: Fall session starts September 16.
Facilitated by Liz Marks, this Christ-centered group will seek to provide education, support, and practical skills to help you cope with the painful challenges your family is facing. Our vision and goals for the group would be that you experience greater connection with other believers who understand what you are going through, greater confidence in God’s truth and grace in your life, and greater courage in navigating life and being a good advocate for your loved one. All materials will be provided. Individuals or families are welcome to attend.
ADDICTIONS VICTORIOUS (for men and women struggling with addictions of all kinds)
Addictions Victorious (AV) is a network of Christ centered support and recovery groups. Our meetings are open to men and women of all ages who are seeking lasting change in their lives. We reach out in the love of our Lord Jesus to those who struggle with various addictions. We also embrace loved ones and friends who find themselves on the other side of addiction; those who are being adversely impacted by the addict’s destructive lifestyle.
Our open meetings are held on Tuesdays from 7:00-9:00 pm in room 201 at Calvary Church. Call 215.908.0965 or 215.799.0189 for more information or pick up a brochure in the church kiosks for details.
BLENDED FAMILY/ STEP FAMILY SUPPORT GROUP
“Blended families” or “stepfamilies” are relatively new terms in history, but have become a part of every day language in the last 50 years. With the high incidence of divorce and changing patterns of families, there are increasing numbers of stepfamilies. New stepfamilies face many challenges and yet most couples are underprepared. As with any achievement, developing good stepfamily relationships requires a lot of effort. We meet several times throughout the year to discuss a relevant topic and have some time for connecting with each other for encouragement, support, and friendship as we face the unique circumstances of stepfamilies.
Check back for upcoming events and gathering opportunities.
BETRAYED HEART (for wives of men struggling with sexual addiction)
Betrayed Heart offers support to wives of men dealing with sexual purity issues including pornography, affairs, and/or sexual addiction. This highly confidential group meets off-site. Call our confidential and secure number, 215.723.5385 x180, for more information.
- Fall Session September 11 - December 18, 2014
- 12-Week Summer Study Thursdays from 7:00 - 8:30pm
- For more information about Divorce Recovery
- Fall Registration Brochure
GRIEFSHARE (for those grieving the loss of someone close to them)
If you’ve lost a spouse, child, family member or friend, you’ve probably found that there are not many people who understand the deep hurt you feel. At Calvary you will find those who understand what you are experiencing and want to offer comfort and encouragement during this difficult time.
GriefShare is starting a 13-week group beginning Wednesday, September 3, 2014 from 7:00-8:30 pm in room 218 at Calvary Church. Included in the GriefShare classes will be a helpful video, and a time to share and discuss in a small group setting. Workbooks can be purchased for $17.00. Scholarships are available.
Surviving the Holidays Sunday, November 23, 2014 from 6:00-8:30pm in Room 302.
There is no cost to participate in either group, but, please register to attend by calling the Counseling Center at 215.703.8926.
MEN'S PURITY (for men desiring to escape sexual addiction)
Sexual addiction is like heroin or crack cocaine addiction.
Just as occurs with drug or alcohol addiction, with sexual addiction you become dependent on external stimulation to meet your inner needs. The tragic cost of sexual addiction is seen in the many shattered marriages, broken families, accounts of sexual and physical abuse, destroyed ministries, and ruined spiritual lives. Sexual addiction is generally accompanied by remorse, guilt, and shame. For many caught in this web, it feels like there’s no way out. If you are caught in the web of sexual addiction and long to be free, there is hope. The first step from the snare of sexual addiction is to admit that you cannot win this battle alone. You need God’s help and the help of others who understand the battle and can show you how to gain victory.
The Men’s Purity Ministry is designed to help men overcome their dependence on sexual stimulation, especially pornography.
We offer a small group experience that provides insight, knowledge, and strength in a safe environment that fosters trust, openness, and accountability. The program is based on biblically sound principles that seek heart change-not just behavioral change.
Calvary offers two types of groups.
- The first is a closed group format that offers a safe environment with a small number of men who meet weekly for nine months. This structured group requires a commitment by members in regards to attendance and lesson work. Once the group begins, no additional members may join.
- The second group is an open group and is less structured that meets weekly throughout the year but is designed to include men who wish to be in a circle of fellowship with other men for teaching, accountability, and relationship building. This group exists to meet the needs of men struggling with sexual sin that are not able to make a weekly commitment to attendance, but still desire a safe and confidential environment that fosters openness, hope and encouragement.
Each of our Men’s Purity groups is led by two co-facilitators who are mature in their walk with Christ and have experienced freedom from sexual addiction. This freedom comes through God’s power and practicing the principles covered in the group.
In addition to our Purity Groups, Calvary’s Counseling Center offers personalized support to men seeking help with sexual purity. Call the Counseling Center at 215.703.8926.
Make the call: When you are ready to find freedom, call 215. 723.1653 x176. Listen to the message and leave your name and phone number. This is a secure number. Only the coordinator of the Men’s Purity ministry has access to it. He will contact you to help you to explore options.
If you’ve read this far, you’ve taken a good first step. We commend you for your courage. The work will not be easy but, you will have our support and the promise of God’s power!
“SHELTER” (for women who are survivors of sexual abuse)
Women who have experienced childhood sexual abuse are encouraged to learn how God’s love, through Jesus, heals the wounds of past abuse and offers us physical, spiritual, and emotional wholeness.
New sessions begin Wednesday, September 10, 2014. This is a Christian support group for women who have been sexually abused as children. This group will meet weekly on Wednesday evenings from 7:00-8:30pm for 12 weeks. Childcare is provided.
To attend the group, call 215.723.3445, and enter our confidential and secure x197 and leave your name and phone number. The facilitator of the group will return your call.
WOW (Widow Or Widower) Support Group
- Support and encouragement for those who have lost spouses.
- Group meets every second and fourth Sunday.
- For directions and more information, please contact Barbara Shoemaker at 215.723.2744.
Why go to a Support Group?
- Discover Jesus Christ and live out of His strength.
- Understand how personal faith in Christ can help you live an abundant life.
- Surrender to His leadership of your life.
- Learn to ask "the right questions" as you face your situation.
- Develop new attitudes and a new perspective on your situation.
- Experience growth.
- See God at work in yourself and others.
- Fellowship with others in a climate of love and acceptance.
- Receive accountability and encouragement.
- Grow in strength and courage.
- Changes in life begin with changes in you.